Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blessed? Yes very much!

Do you ever wonder why we are so blessed, or even realize that we are blessed? As I gather inspiration from my sister, who I will tell you about later, she has to written a blog about the pros and cons of being a student working on their masters. This leads me to tell you about my blessings and struggles to become a professional cake artist. We all see the shows like The Cake Boss, Charm City Cakes, The Food Networks Challenge, and the list goes on. What these shows fail to show is the extreme time, effort, and money it takes to build one of these masterpieces. Now, do I consider myself a Buddy Valastro or Duff Goldman, no, but do I consider myself talented enough to run and be successful in owning my own cakery, definitely.

I started decorating cakes at Wal-Mart in Feb of 2002. Within a week, I was decorating orders and not just icing cakes. I owe a lot to those wonderful ladies in the "cake room", for teaching my initial knowledge of cake decorating. So thank you Theresa, Sandra, Jenni, and Marilyn, you taught me so much. You may be asking, is that Theresa one of your best friends? The answer is yes, she was the most patient with me, and took my side when I was falling behind. We both worked there for a little over 5 years, and we both moved on to greener pastures. We dabbled in the cake business with each other after we left Wal-Mart. Theresa lost interest, I kept going, and here I am in 2011 seriously trying to open the cake shop/bakery. As with any business venture there are a lot of road blocks, but I'm optimistic I can push through them. I was blessed with the talent of being creative. I can make just about anything. Specifically cakes, and home decor. I have been able to teach myself many new techniques through books, magazines, the Internet and a social website for professional cake decorators.  

The cake programs all show these massive tierd and sculpted cakes that most people I know can't afford. Most cakes cost between $1,200, and $10,000. The problem for me is, most people I know want that kind of cake, and I am not financially able to make those cakes, nor do I like the thought of charging something extra past the cost of the cake. Now the cost of these cakes aren't cheap either, not to mention the time, design, and the stress that comes with making a tierd or sculpted cake. BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE this job and I wouldn't trade my abilities for anything! So yes I do consider myself so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment